What's in a name? Well, in the online world, our name is what everyone knows us by. Everyone on my server knows me as Gatrog. You all know me as Gatrog. But how did I become, Gatrog, instead of Grimtooth or l33tfurball22? Well for starters, I looked at the names of major lore characters. In the case of WoW, I saw Garrosh Hellscream, Grom Hellscream, Thrall, Saurfang, Dranosh, etc. I looked at some Orcish NPC's and finally, I decided on a mesh of many names, becoming Gatrog.
So how should someone pick a name? Well, depending on your race, you may want to look at the NPC's in your major city, or some of the major city. In the case of Unholypally, many elves are named along the lines of Thal'terar, Lor'themar. Basically a lot of ___'___. However, you don't have to do that! You could always pick a simple, easy name, just make it sound elven.
To keep it short, look at the names of major characters that belong to your race, specifically how they are spelled, what letters are common, etc. Do NOT copy the name exactly, but something similair. You aren't Lor'themar, but you can be Thal'terar. So pick your own name, be creative, but try to keep it specific to your own race. And for me, pleeassseee don't name yourself "L33thackzor22."
-Gatrog
You know, I've been role-playing for a very long time, I've seen so many names that have fallen short of being great names. Admittedly I've had to borrow names from books, games, old ideas I had, heck I've even borrowed a name from reversing the letters in a word (not proud of that last one). Good advice to give to any player first starting their RP road would be as such: When first starting any character, look at the lore for the race you are looking to join, and once you've found out what guides your race, pick a name that you will be able to live with. One awkward thing about characters is that you don't necessarily have to have a reason behind your name, it may not have a meaning, may not have a story behind it, but it's yours.
ReplyDeleteI started my Role-playing road with a Half-Orc warrior named Dungar (and this was before the flight master in Stormwind was even thought up), so a name can evolve over time, if you don't like a character's name you won't like playing it.